Aoi Tori Syndrome
- Title: 青い鳥症候群 （シンドローム）
- Title (Romaji): Aoi Tori Shoukougun
- Also known as: Bluebird Syndrome
- Genre: Human drama
- Episodes: 9
- Viewership: 4.8%
- Broadcast network: TV Asahi
- Broadcast period: 1999-Oct-16 to 1999-Dec-11
- Air time: Saturday 20:00
- Theme songs: Love Flies by L'Arc~en~Ciel, Ibara no Namida by L'Arc~en~Ciel
Ninomiya Anna grew up an orphan; she was abandoned by her parents at such a young age she can't even remember their faces. 7 years ago, she was suddenly adopted by a man named Fujisawa Tetsuya, but was never sure exactly why. Tetsuya's wife treats Anna terribly, saying things like "Just because you live here doesn't mean I recognize you as my child." Anna's adopted brother, Shingo, has a chronic heart condition and hasn't been able to attend school for the past 6 months.
The Fujisawas see a news conference on TV given by Isomura Aki, the chief coordinator of the Japanese organ donation system. Isomura says there was recently a surgery where after being declared brain-dead, the donor's heart was successfully transplanted into the recipient.
Tetsuya causes his company to go bankrupt, and an angry mob gathers outside of the Fujisawa's house, when eventually some men break in. Shingo tries to defend his family, but collapses and is rushed to the hospital. The doctors inform Tetsuya that the only way to save Shingo is a heart transplant. Later that evening, Aki receives a phone call from Tetsuya. "I received your phone number from the organ donation system. Tomorrow, you'll understand why I called you," is all he says before hanging up. Aki has a foreboding feeling...
-- synopsis by awrittensin
- Original work: Kawano Yasuko (河野やす子)
- Screenwriter: Yoshimoto Masahiro (吉本昌弘)
- Producer: Sasaki Motoko (佐々木基), Kasuga Chiharu, Igarashi Fumio
- Director: Imai Kazuhisa
- Music: Dennis Martin
Episode Titles & Ratings
- Ep 01: You're a Cursed Child
- Ep 02: You're My Mother?
- Ep 03: For Her Lover in a Wheelchair, 3 Million Yen By Deception
- Ep 04: Secret Kiss and Mysterious Brooch
- Ep 05: I'll Sell My Mother For 50 Million Ye
- Ep 06: Divorce Papers and a Fateful Proposal
- Ep 07: No! That Man is My Father!?
- Ep 08: Shocking Fate! Final Request
- Ep 09: Fateful Christmas
-- translated by awrittensin
- Ep 1: 7.3%
- Ep 2: 5.7%
- Ep 3: 3.8%
- Ep 4: 6.1%
- Ep 5: 4.3%
- Ep 6: 3.7%
- Ep 7: 4.5%
- Ep 8: 4.5%
- Ep 9: 3.0%
Based on a manga by Kawano Yasuko of the same name.