Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
- Title: 卧虎藏龙 (卧虎藏龙) / Wo Hu Tsang Lung (Wo Hu Cang Long)
- Also known as: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
- Episodes: 20 / 22
- Broadcast network: CTV / GTV
- Broadcast year: 2001
- Opening theme song: Tuan Yuan (团圆) Reunion by Eric Moo (巫啟賢)
- Ending theme song: Ming Tian Shi Zui Hou Yi Tian (明天是最后一天) Tomorrow is the Last Day by Peter Ho
A love story set during the Qing Dynasty, ancient China. The daughter of a general meets a desert bandit while the daughter of a bodyguard meets a Daoist-to-be. In-between the romance, the bigger plot brewing deals with a disgruntled prince looking to overthrow the current Emperor with the help of an amazing sword from the famous Wu Dang clan/school that can cut metal like mud and a powerful set of martial arts techniques.
- Peter Ho as Xiao Hu
- Shui Ling as Xiao Long
- Qiu Xin Zhi as Li Mu Bai
- Huang Yi as Xiu Lian
- Zhang Chen Guang as Prince Tie
- Tong An Ge (童安格) as Meng Si Zhao
- Zhang Pei Hua (张佩华) as Gao Lang Qiu
- Gao Bao Bao as Granny De Wu
- Jiang Li Li (姜黎黎) as Madam Yu
- Lu Han Biao as Lu Jun Pei
- Chen Zi Han
Pros: I found this series far, far superior to the movie (despite what I thought was a crappy ending.) Even being used to wuda stories, the movie completely lost me. This series is much more straightforward in the way it explains the plot, and fills in a lot of holes in the storyline from the movie. You actually know why they want that sword...! The series seems to follow the book plot pretty well.
The acting is fine; the two couples are like complete opposites, and it's fun to watch them interact. There's naturally fighting, and it's good; aka no lame CG.
The people are very visually friendly, if you want to be superficial. Collaborations have already struck me as great; here you've got, I believe, Peter He(Ho) as Xiao Hu from Taiwan, Huang Yi as Xiu Lian and Shui Ling as Xiao Long from the Mainland and a very handsome (only guy I've found that looks good in the Qing hairstyle!) Qiu Xin Zhi as Li Mu Bai from Taiwan. The main cast looks great together and acts well as a group.
The music is fun (opening theme song is awesome), though it does do a bit of recycling from other series here and there.
Cons: The ending/"climax". It sucked; was way too rushed and silly.
Comments: This was a fantastic series, the best ancient one I've seen in a long time, but the ending completely ruined it, which is a real shame, because otherwise there's not much to complain about. The setting and shots are great, dialogue's fun and intelligent; fighting is good, plot is intruiging and especially Peter He and Shui Ling's chemistry is very entertaining. I was totally hooked, and still think it's quite worth the time to watch as long as you prepare for a letdown at the end.
- Producer: Chi Cheng Xi (迟晨曦), Xu An Jin (许安进), Wang Peng Ju (王鹏举), Lin Rui Yang (林瑞阳)
- Production managers: Zheng Yong Ming (郑永明), Li Liang Guang (李亮光)
- Chief director: Liang Kai Cheng (梁凯程)