Saimdang, Light's Diary
- Title: 사임당, 빛의 일기 / Saimdang, Light's Diary
- Previously known as: Saimdang, the Herstory
- Also known as: Saimdang, Memoir of Colors
- Genre: Historical, romance, fantasy
- Episodes: 28
- Broadcast network: SBS
- Broadcast period: 2017-Jan-26 to 2017-May-04
- Air time: Wednesday & Thursday 22:00
- Original Soundtrack: Saimdang, Light's Diary OST
A reinterpretation of Saimdang from the Joseon times. She was a genius artist and passionate lover. Lee Young Ae takes on two roles; a college professor who specializes in Korea Art History and Saimdang.
- Production Company: Creative Leaders Group8 Inc., Emperor Entertainment Korea Ltd.
- Director: Yoon Sang Ho
- Screenwriter: Park Eun Ryung
- This is a pre-produced drama.
- Lee Young Ae makes a tv comeback through this drama after 14 years.
- Actor Kam Woo Sung was first offered male lead role but later got replaced by Song Seung Hun.
- First script reading took place August 4, 2015 at SBS Ilsan Production Center in Tanhyun, South Korea without the male lead.
- Filming began August 10, 2015 and finished June 4, 2016.
- The production cost for this drama is estimated to be around 22.5 billion won (approximately $19.8 million).
- Lee Young Ae received 150 million won (approximately $132,000) per episode thus making it the highest pay for an actress in the world. She broke the previous record of Ji Chang Wook for drama K2 (cable channel).
- The series was originally scheduled to air at 10:00 pm on Saturdays and Sundays, beginning in October 2016, but on September 27, 2016, SBS announced that the broadcast of series would be delayed; it would instead air on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 10:00 pm, beginning in January 2017.
- However despite its initial hype, extensive publicity and huge budget, Saimdang failed to capture viewers and was ultimately surpassed by Chief Kim its the same time slot.
- Producers of this drama, from the episode 5, re-edited the drama to make the storyline faster and increase viewers.
- This drama was originally plan for 30 episodes. However, due to low ratings and viewer complaints, the show's producers revised scenes and reduced to 28 episodes.
- Nonetheless, the series managed to earn a net profit thanks to strong performance overseas.The series is the most viewed program on Taiwan’s GTV, and also maintained the No. 1 and No. 2 positions on various platforms in Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and Malaysia.