- Title: 仙劍奇俠傳 (仙剑奇侠传) / Xian Jian Qi Xia Zhuan
- Also known as: Chinese Paladin / The Magic Sword & the Chivalrous Youth / Legend of Fairy and Sword
- Genres: Adventure, fantasy, martial arts, romance
- Episodes: 34 or 38 depending on where it was broadcast
- Broadcast network: CTV / TCS (Joint Mainland China, Taiwan and Singapore production)
- Broadcast year: 2005
- Opening theme song: Sha Po Lang by JS
- Ending theme song: Zhong Yu Ming Bai by Power Station
- Insert songs: See Chinese Paladin OST
- Related show: Chinese Paladin 3, Chinese Paladin 5
The series starts with the execution of Nan Zhao's Queen who was accused of being a demon, while in reality, she was the descendant of the goddess Nu Wa. When the same man who had accused her had unleashed a snake-like demon upon the people, she sacrifices herself to save them and a statue is placed to honor her. Mysteriously, the Princess also disappears along with her nanny.
10 years later, the story then revolves around the life of Li Xiao Yao (Hu Ge), an orphan who lives with his aunt and is considered to be a lazy trouble maker by many. When his aunt had fallen sick, he was instructed to travel to a mystical land to retrieve the antidote to save her. Once there, he runs into Zhao Ling'er (Liu Yi Fei), a young and naive girl who claims that he is her savior. Though he was rather confused, Xiao Yao quickly falls for her and they later got married, but still fearing for his aunt's life, he promises to come back to find Ling'er after he saves his aunt. But then, a group of assassins suddenly finds their way onto the island, and all of Xiao Yao's memory since arriving at the location gets completely wiped away to the point where he even forgets about his marriage.
Nonetheless, he takes Ling'er back to Nan Zhao with him, where she tries to get him to fall for her again. The couple are then introduced to two cousins, Lin Yue Ru (Ady An) and Liu Jin Yuan (Bryan Wang). Yue Ru and Xiao Yao forms a rivalry, while Jin Yuan's love for his cousin starts to become obvious. Rather obliviously, Yue Ru starts to become jealous of Ling'er and Xiao Yao's relationship as she sees herself getting out of her ways to impress him, while at the same time, Ling'er is also trying to win back her husband.
However, Ling'er disappears and the three friends goes out to find her. On their journey, a series of events which they encounter would either change their friendship for the better or the worse, and eventually, Xiao Yao's memories later returns, and Ling'er also finds out about her true identity, causing her to question whether Xiao Yao would still love her or fear her for who she really was.
- Hu Ge as Li Xiao Yao
- Liu Yi Fei as Zhao Ling Er
- Ady An as Lin Yue Ru
- Eddie Peng as Tang Yu
- Esther Liu as Ah Nu
- Bryan Wang as Liu Jin Yuan
- Tse Kwan Ho as Jiu Zui Xian
- Elvis Tsui as Bai Yue Jiao Zhu/Moony
- Deng Li Min as Shi Zhang Lao
- Sun Li as Wu Hou
- Loretta Lee as Holy Abbess Sheng Gu
- Cheng Pei Pei as Lao Lao
- Ben Wong as Wu Wang
- Cheung Sai as Cai Yi
- Patrick Tam as Jiang Ming
- Jiang Xin as Nu Yuan / Wan Er
- Sam Lee as Xiao Hu
- Lynn Poh as Ji San Niang
- Guo Liang as Jian Shen
- Joanne Tseng as Xiu Lan
- Achel Chang as Ai Qie
- Zhou Lan as Han Meng Ci
- Yang Ming Na as Hu Yao (fox spirit)
- Screenwriters: Deng Li Qi, Huang Hao Lan, Zhong Zheng Long
- Producers: Lee Kwok Lap, Karen Tsoi
- Directors: Wu Jin Yuan, Liang Shen Zhi, Mai Guan Zhi
- Music: Mai Zhen Hong
- Filming started on 2008-Aug-07 and wrapped in 2008-Dec.
- There is no Chinese Paladin 2, as the producers found that the third game had a much stronger storyline for filming.