The Mystic Nine
- 1 Details
- 2 Synopsis
- 3 Teaser/Trailer
- 4 User/Viewer Ratings
- 5 Cast
- 6 Production Credits
- 7 Special - Er Yue Hua Kai
- 8 Special - Hu Gu Mei Hua
- 9 Special - Heng He Sha Shu
- 10 Special - Si Tu Huang Kui
- 11 Season 2
- 12 Recognitions
- 13 Trivia
- 14 External Links
- Title: 老九门 / Lao Jiu Men
- English title: The Mystic Nine
- Also known as: Old Nine Gates
- Genre: Mystery, war, action, suspense
- Episodes: 48
- Viewership ratings: Peak = 1.213%, Average = 0.580% 
- Broadcast network: Dragon TV, iQiyi
- Broadcast period: 2016-Jul-04 to 2016-Oct-17
- Air time: Monday to Tuesday
- Original soundtrack: The Mystic Nine OST
- Related TV shows: see Dao Mu Bi Ji
The drama is a prequel to The Lost Tomb in which the story focuses on the exploits of the nine grave robbing families in the 1933. With the help of his friends Fortune Teller Qi Tiezhui and Opera Singer Er Yuehong, General Zhang Qishan entered into a strange mine to discover a mysterious ancient tomb. After many untold dangers, he uncovered a Japanese plot to kill the residents of Changsha city. The men banded together to stop the Japanese's plot, thereby saving their city.
- Main Cast
- The leader and 1st master of the Mystic Nine and a defense commander for the city of Changsha. He was known by everyone as Lord Buddha, the grandson of Zhang Ruitong (the previous generation Zhang Qiling). He has a strong military influence and the people's trust. Became leader after a rumor spread all over Changsha of him teleporting a Golden Buddha over to his manor in one night.
- The 2nd master of the Mystic Nine. An expert at tomb raiding due to his family background, but chooses to become an opera singer due to his passion. He specializes in metal pellets and martial arts just like Zhang Qishan. He loves Ya Tou dearly.
- Zhao Li Ying as Yin Xinyue
- The mistress of Crescent Hotel (新月饭店). Zhang Qishan's love interest and later wife.
- The 8th master of the Mystic Nine. Saved by Zhang Qishan after he was captured by the Japanese bandits. He is not an expert in martial arts, but specializes in fortune-telling and divination. Although he is a fortune teller, he never believes in ghosts and gods.
- Er Yuehong's wife. She and Yuehong knew each other from young till adult, he saved her from being sold as a slave then they got married. She has a mysterious sickness that Yuehong tries to desperately cure. Her real name is unknown.
- The 4th master of the Mystic Nine who is known for his cruel ways. He specializes in metal pellets and the flying guillotine. He is the disciple of Er Yuehong and works at his residence. He likes Ya Tou.
- Supporting Cast
- Zhang Ming En as Lieutenant Zhang Rishan
- Zhang Qishan's right-handed man. He is loyal and obedient and is placed to protect everyone else when his commander is not around.
- Wang Chuang as Lu Jianxun
- Zhang Qishan's political opponent. A greedy and jealous commander who gets his hands bloody just for what he wants. Dies by the hand of the Mysterious Zhang family after getting his hands on the stone found in the mines.
- Jia Jiang Feng as Lieutenant Lu
- Lu Jianxun's right-handed man. He does all of Commander Lu's dirty work.
- Stokes Andrew Charles as Cox Hendry / Qiu Dekao
- The main antagonist. A mysterious man that has a lot of knowledge about the Mystic Nine.
- Zhou Xiao Fei as Ryoko Tanaka
- A Japanese Soldier that works for at the American Commerce with the main antagonist. Though she falls prey to her own ambitions and doesn't quite listen to her boss.
- Yang Zi Jiang as Jie Jiuye
- The 9th master of the Mystic Nine. Jie Lianhua's father and Jie Yuchen's grandfather. He was Zhang Qishan and Er Yuehong's good friend. He specializes in strategy and planning ahead before an enemy strikes. He has connections with Japanese Departments and Trade networks. He also has some medical knowledge.
- The only female member and 7th master of the Mystic Nine, also Huo Xiu Xiu's grandmother. She was raised as head of the household at age 15, specializes in seduction and carries blades behind her hair. She loves Er Yuehong and is willing to give up everything for him. She also loves Wu Lao Gou, but he was married to Jiuye's cousin. However, she harbors a hate towards Zhang Qishan which causes her to work with the Japanese to get rid of him. In The Lost Tomb series, she died in the Zhangjia ancient building, and her body was brought back by Wu Xie to confirm the death. But Huo Jinxi's ending in the drama is temporarily unclear.
- Huang Zi Xi as Mo Ce
- Yin Xinyue's cousin. A doctor who studies in Western medicine, also works at Changsha city hospital. She was mistaken by Er Yuehong to be Ya Tou. Therefore, triggering her to fall for Er Yuehong as his love interest. She healed Zhang Qi Shan and Er Yuehong's injuries after they return from the mine expedition.
- Li Zong Han as Hei Bei Lao Liu
- The 6th master of the Mystic Nine. Only one among the nine families who has a thug origin. He is a very low-key person, and even Wu Lao Gou doesn't have a deep relationship with him, only knows that he was once a 'swordsman' in Shaanxi."
- Zhang Lu Yi as Wu Lao Gou
- The 5th master of the Mystic Nine, also Wu Xie's grandfather. He has hellhounds that are vicious and scary. He was generous, kind, and loved to make friends. Jie Jiuye introduced his cousin to Wu Lao Gou, and Wu Lao Gou fell in love with her when he first saw her, they were married soon afterwards. He has three sons: Wu Yiqiong, Wu Erbai, and Wu Sansheng.
- Li Nai Wen as Banjie Li
- The 3rd master of the Mystic Nine. His real name is unknown. He was injured in the tomb by his companion and sealed in the tomb during a tomb robbery. After the escape, only half of his life was left. Since then, he has been extremely suspicious. He has a better relationship with Jie Jiuye and Wu Laogou. There is speculation that Li Sidi in The Lost Tomb is his descendants, but it has not been accurately stated.
- Shi Xuan Ru as Xiao Hong
- A woman who works at the Changsha city tavern.
- Yang Xue as Xiao Meng
- A woman who works at the Changsha city tavern, along with Xiao Hong.
- Wang Guan as Peng Sanbian
- Yin Xinyue's fiance. He was in hostile with Zhang Qishan after the latter stole his invitation to enter the auction held at Crescent hotel. After learning Zhang Qishan's purpose, he convinced Yin Xinyue to believe in his words, but she considered him as a trickster. Later Qiu Dekao invited him to work together to get revenge against Zhang Qishan, but he was accidentaly killed on the train.
- Li Rui Chao as Beile Ye
- The descendant of the former emperor of Qing dynasty imperial family. The specific identity of him is unknown. He meet Zhang Qishan at the auction for the first time. The two met again after the city of Changsha was invaded by Lu Jianxun. He also helped Zhang Qishan and others to stay in his residence for a while.
- Dai Qi Hua as listening maid
- Yin Xinyue's right-hand woman in the Hotel. She has the unique gift to listen to all conversations in the building.
- Wang Xiao Yi as Xiao Kui
- Zhang Qishan's house maid. She was often seen with Yin Xinyue.
- Wu Li as Tao Hua
- Er Yuehong's house maid. She always took care of Ya Tou when the second lord was not at his residence.
- Ren Wan Jing as Er Kui
- Zhang Qishan's house maid.
- Two beautiful twins that have the ability to lure and seduce men for their riches. Returned the favor to 8th master after he helped them find their missing jewelry.
- Cheng Da Chun as former 4th master of the Mystic Nine
- He was murdered and lured by a trap sent by Lu Jianxun. Later was killed by Chen Pi A Si with the Flying Guillotine that flew through the window.
- Zhang Shuo as Hao Shen
- People trapped in the mines
- Zhang Chun Zhong as mysterious old man
- He was blinded by the Japanese soldier when he worked in the mines. Also one of the only survivors left after that. He was protected by Er Yuehong's great uncle when working at the mines. He was trapped in the mines for a long time, awaiting to send a message to Er Yuehong. However, he passed away from the Hair Disease after trying to escape with everyone else.
- Sun Ming Jun as Xiao Sanzi
- Tang Yong Nan as Si'er
- Mao Yi Wen as Liu'er
- Gong Si Le as Lao Shiba
- Zuo Xiao Long as Da Long
- Xue Wen Hua as Old Worker
- Chen Ze Jia as Young Worker
- People in Bai Qiao & Hei Zu Village
- A little fatty man. He befriends Lieutenant Zhang Rishan and 8th master when they arrive at Baiqiao village. Knows a lot of the information around town.
- Lieutenant Zhang Rishan and 8th master meet him on their way to Bai Qiao. Then they worked at his residence while finding information about Zhang Qishan's whereabouts.
- Marco Li as Hei Shi
- Leader of the Hei Zu. He was collaborated with Chen Pi A Si and the Japanese to plan the killings of residents of Changsha. But their plan was discovered by Zhang Qishan and lieutenant Zhang Rishan. He was killed shortly afterwards.
- Guest Appearance
- He Zhong Hua as train station manager
- Zou Ting Wei as Hiroshi Hatoyama
- Zheng Guo Lin as Master Jiu
- Wang Bin as Muto Ichiro
- Lu Xing Yu as Photographer
- Zhou Pei Xuan as Auction host
- Su Mao as Yin Dabo (Xinyue's uncle)
- Howie Huang as Zhang Qishan's father
- Tong Xiao Mei as Chen Pi's grandmother
- He Jia Yi as Aunt Huo
- Nan Pai San Shu as Village doctor
- Yang Qing Shu as Cui Cui
- Original writing (novel): Dao Mu Bi Ji (盜墓筆記) Grave Robbers Chronicle by Nan Pai San Shu
- Directors: Liang Sheng Quan, He Shu Pei, Huang Jun Wen
- Screenwriters: Zhang Yuan Ang, Nan Pai San Shu, Tang Ci Cen (汤祈岑)
- Producers: Zhang Yu Xin 张语芯, Lin Guo Hua 林国华, Bai Yi Cong, Nan Pai San Shu
- Company: Ciwen Media
Special - Er Yue Hua Kai
- Title: 老九门番外之二月花开 / Lao Jiu Men Fan Wai Zhi Er Yue Hua Kai
- English title: The Mystic Nine Side Story: Flowers Bloom in February
- Also known as: A Guard over Ancient Treasure
- Broadcast period: 2016-Oct-20
- Theme song: Liang Bao Hou (凉薄侯) by Hu Yun Hao
Er Yue Hong accepted a Japanese commander's invitation to perform at the Japanese military base so that he could smuggle out ancient treasures from under the Japanese's watch.
- Zhang Yi Xing as Er Yue Hong
- Zhang Zheng Yang as Jingu Mirai
- Min Zheng as Akiyama 秋山
- He Yu Jun as Ji An
- Liu Wei Sen as Hong Xin
- Mu Yuan Di (牟元笛) as Bai Zhan Mei
- Dong Zi Hui (董子慧) as Hong Dou
- Chen Yi Yuan (陈怡媛) as Hong Xiu
- Xu Long (徐笼) as Yoshida Hirotaka
- Ma Yan Hui (马艳辉) as Xiao Ma
Special - Hu Gu Mei Hua
- Title: 老九门番外之虎骨梅花 / Lao Jiu Men Fan Wai Zhi Hu Gu Mei Hua
- English title: The Mystic Nine Side Story: Tiger Bones Plum Blossom
- Also known as: Murders in the Xie Mansion
- Broadcast period: 2016-Nov-10
When several staffs in the Xie household died under the strangest the circumstances, Xie Jiu Ye suspected an inside job. He asked lieutenant Zhang Rishan to assist him in his investigation.
- Yang Zi Jiang as Xie Jiu Ye
- Zhang Ming En as Zhang Rishan
- Liu Bo (刘波) as Butler
- Wang Jian Wei (王建伟) as Xie Song
- Hou Tong Jiang as Lao Tai Ye
- Chai Hao Wei as Xie Cong
- Jie Bing as Xie Bao Ding
- Liu Yong (刘勇) as Xie Dao
- Ma Hao (马浩) as Xie Qiu
- Jin Zhao as Xie Yun
- Qiu Shuo Kang (仇硕康) as Xiao Feng Zi
- He Zheng Feng (何正峰) as Qi Zhi
- Huang Yang (黄洋) as 3rd wife
- Qiao Qiao as Big wife
- Shi Xiao Lin (石小琳) as 2nd wife
- Qiao Ming Lin (乔鸣麟) as Big uncle
- Deng Ai Mu (邓爱慕) as 2nd uncle
- Wang Sheng Kai (王胜凯) as Xie Tian Yi
- Deng Hao Rong (邓皓荣) as Xie Gang
Special - Heng He Sha Shu
- Title: 老九门番外之恒河杀树 / Lao Jiu Men Fan Wai Zhi Heng He Sha Shu
- English title: The Mystic Nine Side Story: Ganges Killing the Trees
- Also known as: Escape from the Labyrinth
- Broadcast period: 2016-Nov-24
Huo Xian Gu and others were trapped in a temple by a poisonous gas. The painting on the temple walls sparked a killing spree.
- Wang Mei Ren as Huo Xian Gu
- Zhou Xiao Fei as Xie Nai Zheng
- Xu Qian Jing as Hong Ye
- Biao Ma (标马) as Liao Feng
- Li Zhen Hang (李桢航) as Zhao Yun Fei
- Hu Yong Tao as Zhang Xiao Ding
- Li Ze Xiao Suan Pan
- Yin Yan (殷嫣) as Hua Jie
- Li Da (李达) as Luo Bi Xing
- Gao Bin (高斌) as Leader of Huo clan
Special - Si Tu Huang Kui
- Title: 老九门番外之四屠黄葵 / Lao Jiu Men Fan Wai Zhi Si Tu Huang Kui
- English title: The Mystic Nine Side Story: Four Belongs to Abelmoschus
- Also known as: A Contract Killing for Revenge
- Broadcast period: 2016-Oct-20
Chen Pi A Si began his career as a hired killer. His first customer was a little boy who was hiring him to kill his family's murderer.
- Hu Yun Hao as Chen Pi A Si
- Mai Zheng Xin (买正心) as Chun Shen
- Yang Yi as Chang Shan
- Wang Pin Yi (王品一) as Big boss of Huang Ku
- Ning Xiao Hua as Pao Tou
- Ai Li Ya as Guan Jie
- Li Ming as Bai Pang Zi
- Zhang Fan as Xi Qi
- Ji Lin (计林) as blind old woman
- He Lan Dou as Chun Si
- Yang Zhe (杨哲) as Chun's father
- Tian Miao as Chun's mother
- Liu Jun Niang (刘俊良) as accountant
- Huang Ning Sheng (黄宁生) as old man
- Wang Wen Wen (王雯雯) as Shui Xiang
- She Xue Jiao (佘雪娇) as concubine
- Zhang Zhi Qiang (张志强) as Gambling broker
Information cannot be verified by TV network sources.
- Title: 老九门2 / Lao Jiu Men 2
- English title: The Mystic Nine 2
- Also known as: Old Nine Gates 2
- Genre: Mystery, war, action, adventure, supernatural, suspense
- Original writing: Dao Mu Bi Ji (盜墓筆記) Grave Robbers' Chronicle by Nan Pai San Shu (南派三叔)
- Company: Ciwen Media
- In June 2017, it was revealed in an interview that "The Mystic Nine 2" is in the stage of preparation for shooting. And from the plot of the novel updated by Nan Pai San Shu, the development of the story still continues the previous plot.
- 2017 2nd China Quality Television Drama Ceremony: Weekly Broadcast Drama of the Year
- 2017 22nd Huading Awards: Top 10 Dramas
- 2017 Weibo Movie Night Awards: Most Influential Web Movie (The Mystic Nine Side Story: Flowers Bloom in February)
- 2017 2nd Asia New Media Film Festival: Most Popular Actress (Web film) - Wang Mei Ren
- 2016 3rd Hengdian Film and TV Festival of China:
- 2016 6th iQiyi All-Star Carnival:
- The drama is a commercial success in China. It is one of the most watched Chinese dramas, with over 12 billion views in total.
- The series placed first in television ratings and became the number one most searched and discussed topic online during its broadcast. The drama also set a record for the most online views garnered in a day.
- Filming took place in Hengdian World Studios. The tombstone scenes were filmed in various parts of China such as Tiantai Mountain, Jietou Town and Hanshanhu at Tiantai County and Yongkang, Zhejiang province and in Manchuria.
- Filming lasted 104 days from November 24, 2015 to March 7, 2016.
- Nan Pai San Shu, who is the author of the source novel was heavily involved in the making of the drama as a producer and screenwriter.
- It is the second collaboration between Zhao Li Ying and William Chan who play a couple again after The Legend of Zu.
- Zhang Yi Xing had special lessons from a famous Chinese opera singer for the sake of his role as Er Yue Hong.
- Following the series, a wax figure of William Chan was added to Madame Tussauds Shanghai in April 2017. Another wax figure of Zhang Yi Xing was added to Madame Tussauds Shanghai in October 2018.
- The story occured in the range time between Battle of Changsha and Ultimate Conquest.