The Snow Queen
- Title: 눈의 여왕 / Nunui Yeowang
- Also known as: The Snow Queen
- Genre: Romance, Drama
- Episodes: 16
- Broadcast Network: KBS2
- Broadcast Period: 2006-Nov-13 to 2007-Jan-08
- Air time: Monday & Tuesday 21:55
At 17, Tae Woong (Hyun Bin), a mathmatical genius, meets two people who will later become people he loves. One becomes his best friend and the other, his love.
Tae Woong's best friend, Kim Jeong Kyu (Lee Sun Ho), also classified as a genius, competes for academic accolades. After Tae Woong beats him in an international math Olympiad Jeong Kyu commits suicide. During this same time, Tae Woong meets a little girl who develops a crush on him. However, he loses touch with her without finding out her name.
These tragic events take their toll on the rest of Tae Woong's life. At 25, eight years later, Tae Woong is now a third class boxer and in unexpected events, finds Bo Ra (Sung Yu Ri), the little girl he once knew. Although this winter will be very cold and scary, winter is not the end of the seasons, but the beginning of the hope for a greater love.
- Hyun Bin as Han Tae Woong/Han Deuk Gu
- Sung Yoo Ri as Kim Bo Ra
- Go Joo Yun as young Kim Bo Ra
- Chun Ho Jin as Kim Jang Su (Bo Ra's father)
- Lee Sun Ho as Kim Jeong Kyu
- Oh Mi Hee as Bo Ra's mother
- Go Doo Shim as Park Yeong Ok (Tae Woong's mother)
- Kim Eung Soo as Lee Dong Sul (Seung Ri's father)
- Im Ju Hwan as Suh Gun Woo
- Yoo In Young as Lee Seung Ri
- Jin Tae Hyun as Choi Choong Shik
- Jang Jung Hee as Go Soon Ja (Bo Ra's house keeper)
- Jung Ji Ahn as Park Deuk Nam (Go Soon Ja's daughter)
- Kim Hak Jin as Ahn Sang Ho
- Lee Seo Yoon (이서윤) as Hong Ji Hye
- Lee Chul Min as Park Dong Pil (boxer)
- Park Jin Young as Jang Park Sa (Bo Ra's doctor)
- Choi Duk Moon as Oh Shil Jang
- Kim Beol Rae as college math professor
- Choi Yeo Jin (cameo)
- Jerome To (cameo)
- Kim Yeo Jin (cameo)
- Screenwriter: Kim Eun Hee, Yoon Eun Kyung
- Chief Producer: Lee Kang Hyun
- Producer: Ki Min Soo
- Director: Lee Hyung Min
- 2006 KBS Drama Awards: Popularity Award (Hyun Bin)
- 2006 KBS Drama Awards: Popularity Award (Sung Yu Ri)
- 2006 KBS Drama Awards: Netizen Award (Hyun Bin)
- 2006 KBS Drama Awards: Best Couple Award (Hyun Bin and Sung Yu Ri)
By Chinkyq - The beginning of the Snow Queen was quite different. Though it had its typical korean drama traits, ie. the young lovers and separated love, a different concept was brought into the drama. The powerful love between two friends was quite prominent in this drama and through a short amount of time through understanding this, it was quite enough.
What seemed strange was that the young girl who played Bo Ra seemed rather too young to act against the young Hyun Bin. It was not a secret that the older Bo Ra was infact the young girl who he had met. In my opinion, it was a bit weird. If the purpose was to eliminate potential memory jerkers, they should have used a different Tae Woong too.
The next few episodes were quite fun as it showed viewers were able to see a rich young girl who was so ignorant and inconsiderate, and treated people with disrespect, get an earful from a young man (Tae Woong).
As the drama progressed, however, i found that it had dragged on quite a bit. The personal problems that Tae Woong had was worthy, but not so necessary to jeopardize the whole plot of the story. I felt quite sorry for Tae Woong's guilt and understood his pain to some extent, but then it was only when everyone knew his past, that i realized why he could not tell Bo Ra his true identity. And in that way, the guilt become somewhat pointless at times for the direction of the drama.
Again, the ending was like any other Korean drama, so it was quite disappointing to have known the ending before i even reached the end. With such a tragic storyline, it's hard to believe so much sadness could ever reach a father or a genius.
I believe there was too much running in circles and no justification of running back, when having ran away.
This drama did not have a love triangle attached...and it was more realistic in the way other people had liked the characters but not fighting over each other and doing mean things. In a sense i watched this drama because of the extra meaning of the story. Though Hyun Bin and Yu Ri showed great chemistry, it lacked passion and sometimes the scenes were a bit too light. The feeling of love was felt, but not enough passion on Hyun Bin's part.So in a sense, parts that needed to be developed and emphasisd, weren't done so, and the parts which were elaborated too much, weren't made short enough.
On saying that, the snow and the little gifts and the snow queen story memorised me and it made the drama sweet
- This drama is adapted from Hans Christian Andersen's The Snow Queen
- Also pays tribute to Korea's legendary boxer, Kim Deuk Gu.
- The Snow Queen
- KBS - The Snow Queen Official Site
- English Wikipedia
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Bach's Goldberg Variations
- Lily of the Valley (Convallaria)